Living With Mold: Why Remediation is Critical
Keep in mind that 95% of the air humans breath today is indoor air. Whether you’re in your home, your car, or work, the high majority of the time you’re breathing in recycled air.
Wet and confined spaces like basements, crawl spaces, attics and bathrooms are highly prone to mold growth. But here’s the thing, mold is not always visible. Mold, unlike plants loves to thrive in dark areas. It does not need light. In fact, the Sun emits UVA and UVB rays that kill off the most dangerous types of mold. This leads to a situation where many of the safer strains of mold tend to grow outdoors and many of the more toxic strains wind up growing behind wallboards or subfloors.
Everyone breaths in mold spores all day long.
This is a fact. But your home becomes a destructive living environment when you are breathing in high levels of mycotoxins for a long period of time.
Even very brief exposure to certain molds can cause disastrous effects. And everyone’s immune system behaves differently. However, the more it is exposed to these toxins the more your immune system begins to shut down. This is known as “immuno-suppression”.
It’s not just caused by mold but is cause by hundreds of other things like medicines, antibiotics, asbestos, radon, etc.
You may not be able to pin point exactly when your home has reached threatening levels. But what you can do is simply be aware. If you’ve had moisture problems for years, get a mold test done. They are very cheap.
The biological growth and exposure to mold is much more likely to affect predispositioned people. So if you have asthma, allergies, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, any type of illness or infection then you need to be much more vigilant in identifying and removing mold from your home.